We are Dying! Turn to Organic Farming
Agriculture and it’s allied industry are the only sector that can produce more than 50 % production for human life, than any other sector in entire country. However, recently farmers are using the mostly chemical fertilizers, for getting more and more production of crops.
What Is Fertilizer?
Fertilizer is a kind of substance used to add nutrients to the soil to promote soil fertility and increase growth of plant. Farmers are using fertilizers to grow the production without testing of his soil health. Because of, not all fertilizers are useful and to keep soil fertility for the the long term, never made the same and nor it is healthy for the soil.
The effects about chemical fertilizers are not widely spoken. This is partially because, they are largely untested quality. Therefore, there is a risk of groundwater contamination and creation of environmental issues that bring. But human life still not entirely sure what it results for our own health. Whether these are ‘healthful’ or ‘harmful’ doesn’t know today. The condition causes a decrease in oxygen in the blood and results of it blue-grey skin color, causes lethargy or into irritability and can lead to coma or death.
Negative or adverse effects of the chemical fertilizers:
- Chemical fertilizers are water soluble, reason of, can remain in ground water for decades.
2. It may affect the human nervous system functions.
3. In fore coming decades, there is possibility of vector- borne diseases.
4. Contamination of water, causes a decrease in oxygen in the blood, which may be dangerous to health.
5. Increase of water -soluble nitrate; creates an in-flax of plant life, will effect on the aquatic ecosystem.
The excessive use of chemical fertilizers can lead to acidification of soil, because of a decrease in organic matter. Nitrogen applied to soils in large amounts, damages the topsoil, resulting in reduced crops yield. However, sandy soils are much more prone to soil acidification than clay soils. Clay soils have an ability of buffering the effects of excess chemical fertilization.
Therefore, farmer should adopt conventional way of farming, utilizing mostly organic fertilizers which are useful to keep long- term fertility of the soil, as well as growth in production. It also doesn’t affect the environment. However, organic farming is an alternative agricultural system, originated early in the 20th century in reaction to rapidly change farming practices. However, when it comes to percentage of area under organic cultivation, most populated country, India is contributing only 2.59 per cent [1.5 million hectares] of the total area [57.8 million hectares].
Advantages of the organic farming:
1. Improves the soil health and reduces the cost of cultivation.
2. Reduced level of residues in the product, reduces human and animal health hazards.
3. It helps in keeping agricultural production of a sustainable level.
4. Reduced level of pollution, helps to maintain environmental health.
5. Can reduces nutrient loss into water bodies and environment; also promotes favourable chemical reaction.
6. Not only saves energy of both animal and machine, but also reduces risk of crop failure.
7. Organic can improve the soil physical properties such as granulation, good tilth, good aeration.
8. Improves water-holding capacity and reduces erosion, easy root penetration.
9. It ensures optimum utilization of natural resources for short-term benefit also helps in conserving them for future generation.
10. It improves the soil’s chemical properties to supply and retention of soil nutrients.
What can we do? about it!
Farmers are using chemical fertilizers consistently, which maybe adverse effective. So, its need to refills his soil with Alluvium- clay from ponds, river or replace with organic manures, alternatively in the 2-3 years. Dose of alluvium and organic process can maintain soil fertility. This way, farmer can avoid all the adverse effects on soil, born of chemical fertilizers. The treatment gives sand particles of alluvium clay coating, which can completely change their physical properties and allows them to bind with water. This process doesn’t involve any chemical agents, means pure organic. It can change any poor-quality sandy soils into high-yield agricultural land.
However, being as a responsible vegetable Gardner. If we feed the soil, then life of soil will sustain, our plants will thrive, we can grow nutritious healthy grains; our soil condition will improve year by year. This is what is meant by the adage “Feed the soil not the plants.”
Thus, alluvium applied soil turns into spongy- that retains moisture in soil deeply. Consequently, needs less water for next irrigation, reduces usage by 50-65% compared to current irrigation norms. Thereby, holds the nutrients in the soil much better.
Ultimately, organic process methods of alluvium can increase farm productivity, repairs of environmental damage, keeps soil fertility for long-term; and knit small farmers families into more sustainable distribution networks, leading to improve food security.