How To Speak Confidently in Public: Public Speaking Tips
Whether you are getting ready for a class presentation or speech at a particular point, public speaking can be a pretty tough challenge, but you can address the fear of public speaking by using some tips and good practice.
What is public speaking?
In short, it is an act of talking in front of live people or audience to educate, entertain or persuade them. Public speaking is a large category which includes formal speeches in front of large number of audience and secondly, informal speeches in front of small number of audiences. Nonverbal and verbal communication skills both are important for a public speaker to get engaged with the audience.
Public Speaking Tips
In most of the people, public speaking doesn’t come naturally but, yes with the help of hard practice everyone can be good at it. First of all, get public speaking experience by giving speeches in front of small audience then, increase the number of it. Following are some public speaking tips that, you can implement in your own speech to feel more comfortable.
- Visualizing – It will be natural to feel worried about failure before going to speak in front of your audience. But, remember one thing, negativity only increases your nervousness, not your confidence. That is why, visualize success before going to the stage, imagine how great you will feel once your speech will complete.
- Guess your audience – Your preparation for speech is equal to the confidence. The way you use to present such points which will go to the large part of your speech, should be determined by your audience. Before writing your speech, ask to yourself what your audience want to hear from you.
- Decide where do you want to look – If you are going to speak in front of the large audience, then look at people’s eye line because of that you will not get burden of the people’s daunting size. If in front of small audience, then choose one person who is making eye contact with you and paying attention at your every word. Those people who will use phone while your speech, you just have to ignore them.
- Simple is better – you don’t have to impress your audience by the sentence structure. But you will need to keep them engage by using quick and short phrases in your speech. There is not much that you can do when it happens. Just keep your speech simple and keep talking confidently.
- Proper body language – Good position and smile both are helpful to get engaged with your audience. Instead of remaining still, you should move around and use hand gesture, both of this will hold people’s attention.
- Do practice– no one can become master at it on the first try. More you will do practice of public speaking more you will feel comfortable. Whenever you will get chance to speak in front of the audience, don’t miss it. Practice is only one thing that can help you to increase confidence and to feel comfortable while giving a speech.
Reasons to learn about public speaking
This skill can be beneficial for your professional and personal life because of the following reasons:
- It helps to improve your career- This skill will help you to perform good job interviews or presentation. Even it is helpful for anyone who want to get leadership position in the workplace.
- It helps to boost your confidence- If you want to overcome the fear of public speaking indirectly you are going to boost your confidence and to low down nervous in the public.