How to teach your dog to fetch? 5 Steps You Should Follow
Actually, teaching your dog to fetch doesn’t requires a lot of efforts. At the end, every dog love playing and pleasing their humans. However, fetching comes naturally in some varieties of dog. But if you are dog is currently not able to fetch then don’t worry! By following simple steps your dog can be a master in fetching.
In this article, we are going to learn how to teach your dog to fetch in five steps. So, let’s start.
How To Teach Your Dog to Fetch: 5 Steps
- Choose a fetch toy for your dog – choose a toy which can seems interesting to your dog. It can be a tennis ball or any other fetching toy. Remember that, if you will choose a more interesting toy, training of teaching of fetching will be much easier.
- Teach your dog to drop out the toy – this is the first step of teaching to fetch, firstly take that fetch toy in front of dog’s face and wait until dog will start looking excitedly on it, then give a command ‘ Take It’s and allow your dog to grab out the fetch toy. After three to five seconds late, you want to give a command ‘drop it’ it will take some time to follow this command. that’s why you want to hold dog treat which is near the nose. Then your dog will throw the fetch toy easily.
- Teach your dog to drop out the fetch toy – you must repeat this exercise in a particular time as you want, the maximum level is one or two time everyday. At the end, your dog should drop out the fetch toy without your treat. increase the time of holding slowly, which means increase the time between first and second command. It will be helpful for your dog to hold the fetch toy for a long period of time.
- Teach your dog to fetch by ‘bait-and-switch’ – bait-and-switch is a method that you must use to teach your dog to fetch. This method is likely to be a game of two toys, first task is to show the first toy and simply allow your dog to grab out the fetch toy as our first method. second task is to call your dog by name, to grab out attention and then throw the second toy opposite to the direction of first throw. Repeat these two tasks again and again as you want.
- Upgrade switch and bait method – after completing some entries by doing this, now your second task will be upgradation of this method. Firstly, you want to throw first toy by calling the name as our 3rd step. Then give some time to grab about attention towards first toy in this time you don’t want to throw second toy. You just want to give command ‘drop it’, your dog must be able to throw the first toy by following your command. Once your dog will throw first toy then you can also throw the second toy. Same here you can continue this sequence again and again. When your dog will be able to do this updated method perfectly, then the training of teaching the dog will totally complete.