Six Causes of Sore throat
What is a sore throat?
Sore throat is also known as pharyngitis is an inflammation, soreness, irritation or scratchiness, and pain in the back of the throat which usually worsens when one swallows.
The main causes of sore throat are usually a viral infection I.e. cold or the flu or mononucleosis.
Types of Sore throat?
Based on the part of the throat they affect, sore throats arthree types:
- Tonsillitis lead to swelling or redness of the tonsils.
- Laryngitis cause redness and swelling of the larynx or voice box.
- Pharyngitis the area right behind the mouth is affected. Sore throat subsides within a week or less than a weak most of the time, if persist for more than 10 days one should see the doctor.
Seven Causes of Sore throat
1. Viral infection : 90c/o of sore throat are due to viral infections including
- Mononucleosis also called kissing disease spread through saliva.
- Common cold a viral infection of the throat and nose.
- Influenza or the flu attacks the lungs, throat, and nose.
- Chickenpox is a highly contagious viral disease.
- Measles causes fever and rashes.
- Mumps causes swelling of salivary glands.
- Corona virus or Covid-19 is a deadly disease and causes sore throat.
- Croup an infection in upper airway that blocks breathing and has a barking cough.
2. Bacterial infection
A sore throat can also be due to an underlying bacterial infection. strep throat caused due to streptococcal bacteria The strep throat caused due to streptococcus bacteria is the common type of bacterial infection leading to a sore throat.
40% of sore throat cases in children are caused due to strep throat. Moreover, Tonsillitis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea can also cause sore throat.
Allergies to molds, pet dander, dust as well as allergy to pollens can cause a sore throat.
Furthermore, the immune system reacts to them cigarettes cause symptoms like watery, eyes, nasal congestion, and throat irritation. This can be complicated by postnatal drip which is when the excess mucus in the nose drip down the back of the throat and can inflame and irritate the throat.
4. Smoke and chemicals
The smoke of cigarettes and tobacco, air pollution, and some chemical products can lead to a sore throat.
Moreover, air pollution can cause scratchy and an itchy throat.
Dry indoor air sucks moisture from the mouth and makes one’s throat feel scratchy and rough. Air is mostly dry in the winter season in addition chronic nasal congestion also causes a dry and sore throat.
6. Gastroesophageal reflux
GERD or Gastroesophageal reflux is a digestive system disorder in which the acid reflux back from the stomach into the food pipe or esophagus. In addition, may cause hoarseness, regurgitation, heartburn, and the sensation of a lump in the throat.
Some other causes of sore throat can be due to an underlying HIV infection or a cancerous tumor of the throat, larynx, or tongue.
Sore throat due to allergy may go away as soon as you are no longer exposed to allergens. Still, if sore throat persisted for more than 10 days you should consult a doctor. Sore throat can be uncomfortable and irritating but you need not to worry as an allergist may be able to find you relief.